Walmart is rolling out two new Roblox promotions.
Walmart is the latest retailer to dive into the popular Roblox immersive video game platform.
The discount giant is debuting in the metaverse by launching two new Roblox metaverse experiences. Called Walmart Land and Walmart’s Universe of Play, the spaces offer original interactive content and entertainment. Walmart Land will offer fashion, style, beauty and entertainment items directly to Roblox users, while Walmart’s Universe of Play will provide a virtual toy destination in Roblox.
Walmart Land will feature a variety of immersive experiences, including a virtual store of merchandise, or “verch,” for Roblox avatars, as well as unlockable tokens and badges that can be earned in various games and competitions. The retailer us debuting Walmart Land with three virtual experiences:
- Electric Island: Inspired by global music festivals, Electric Island includes an interactive piano walkway, a dance challenge, a Netflix trivia experience featuring “Stranger Things” star Noah Schnapp, and a DJ booth where users can learn to mix different beats.
- House of Style: Featuring a virtual dressing room, a “strike-a-pose” challenge, an oversized cosmetics obstacle course, and a roller-skating rink, House of Style will offer digital products from brands including af94, UOMA by Sharon C., ITK by Brooklyn & Bailey, Lottie London, and Bubble.
- Electric Fest: New in October 2022, Electric Island will offer ‘Electric Fest’, a motion-capture concert event featuring performances from popular artists such as Madison Beer, Kane Brown, and Yungblud.
In Walmart’s Universe of Play, Roblox users can explore different immersive toy worlds to earn coins for virtual goods, or complete virtual challenges to build a personal trophy case, unlock secret codes and more. Universe of Play includes:
- Immersive games: Users can play five new games that offer experiences featuring products and characters from L.O.L. Surprise, Jurassic World, Paw Patrol, Magic Mixies, and Razor Scooters.
- Rewards: Users will get the opportunity to collect virtual toys to earn coins redeemable for their virtual avatar merchandise. Toys will be available all around the environment, and a Walmart blimp will regularly drop toys throughout the experience.
- Virtual adventures: Universe of Play will also feature e-mobility items like hoverboards, which an avatar can use to travel through the universe faster.
Walmart created its Roblox environment with its development partner Journey and lead creative and media agency Publicis Groupe's Power of One Agency.
Users can obtain free access to the Walmart Land experience on Roblox.com and Walmart’s Universe of Play on any metaverse-compatible device including PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Amazon devices, Xbox consoles, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive.
Retailers turn to Roblox
Walmart’s metaverse entry is the latest signal that the metaverse is developing into a legitimate retail commerce channel. The retail powerhouse is also providing another vote of confidence for Roblox as a metaverse commerce platform.
Other retailers that have launched promotions, experiences, and/or virtual storefronts on Roblox include Chipotle, American Eagle, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and Pacsun.
“We’re showing up in a big way – creating community, content, entertainment and games through the launch of Walmart Land and Walmart’s Universe of Play,” said William White, chief marketing officer, Walmart U.S. “Roblox is one of the fastest growing and largest platforms in the metaverse, and we know our customers are spending loads of time there. So, we’re focusing on creating new and innovative experiences that excite them, something we’re already doing in the communities where they live, and now, the virtual worlds where they play.”
“Our team at Journey was ecstatic to work alongside Walmart to break new ground on Roblox,” said Cathy Hackl, chief metaverse officer, Journey. “As the metaverse continues to evolve, we’re proud to partner with Walmart and build experiences that will help them continue to grow relationships with their customers in places where they are spending so much of their time. We are honored to support Walmart in creating new, innovative, and meaningful ways of connecting with new and existing audiences.”
“We were so excited by the idea of creating a destination on the Roblox platform for a diverse audience of curious, young dreamers to discover their passions,” said Kiser Barnes, senior VP, experience design, Dept. W, Publicis Groupe. “Inspiration starts with play, so we designed our fantasy island in the sky with epic experiences around the exciting brands and products Walmart offers. We're translating that feeling of discovery and community when you're shopping with Walmart into a new dimension.”
Based in Bentonville, Ark., Walmart Inc. operates more than 10,500 stores and multiple e-commerce websites under 46 banners in 24 countries.