Skip to main content

Consumer Affairs & Relations

  • Report: Sears to spin off Hometown, Outlet into separate public company

    Hoffman Estates, Ill. -- A report released Monday by the Associated Press said that Sears Holdings Corp. would be spinning off its Hometown and Outlet stores, along with some hardware stores, into a separate, publicly traded company.

    Earlier this year, Sears had revealed it would split the companies but had not indicated the new organization would be a separate public entity.

    There are approximately 1,238 Hometown, Outlet and hardware stores. Five Hometown stores have been closed, along with eight hardware stores and one Outlet unit.

  • Online retail continues to show strength

    RESTON, Va. — U.S. online retail recorded its eleventh consecutive quarter of positive year-over-year growth and seventh consecutive quarter of double-digit growth, according to ComScore.

    U.S. online retail spending reached $43.2 billion for the second quarter, up 15% over a year ago, according to ComScore.

  • 99 Cents Only to establish clean trucking fleet

    City of Commerce, Calif. -- 99 Cents Only Stores said Monday it will convert 40 semi-trucks from diesel to clean-burning compressed natural gas (CNG).

    This new fleet, according to the discounter, is the largest private Class-8 CNG trucking fleet in Southern California.

    The move comes as part of 99 Cents Only’s plan to become a greener organization and ties in with the chain’s 30th anniversary since its debut in 1982.

  • Save Mart raises funds for children's hospitals

    MODESTO, Calif. — Save Mart Supermarkets announced that all of its banners — including Save Mart, S-Mart Foods, Lucky, FoodMaxx and Maxx Value Foods stores — will be raising funds for children's hospitals in California and Nevada.

  • Martha Stewart Living seeks to appeal court ruling in Macy’s favor

    New York -- Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc. filed a notice of appeal in a lawsuit by Macy's Inc. in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan, Bloomberg reported.

    Macy’s sued Martha Stewart Living in January to stop the company from executing a sales agreement that it announced in December with J.C. Penney Company.  Macy’s said it had the exclusive right to sell Martha Stewart-branded products in certain categories.

  • J.C. Penney records bigger-than-expected Q2 loss; 22% sales drop

    Plano, Texas -- J.C. Penney Co. reported Friday a bigger-than-expected second-quarter loss of $147 million, compared with net income of $14 million in the same period last year.

    Sales plummeted 22% to $3.02 billion from $3.9 billion, and same-store sales tumbled 21.7% after an 18.9% fall in the first quarter. Wall Street had forecast revenue of $3.2 billion.

    Facing the investment community on Friday, CEO Ron Johnson admitted to some strategic pricing mistakes, but said he and his team will stay the course.

  • ECRM: Drought not affecting food prices

    SOLON, Ohio — Efficient Collaborative Retail Marketing reported that the current drought conditions have yet to lead to an increase in food prices.

    “We predict that the food-at-home index will decline for the month of July [however],” ECRM stated in a release Friday.

    For a detailed look at ECRM's predictions on how drought conditions will impact food prices, click here.

  • Bharti Walmart puts online on hold

    Bharti Walmart, Walmart's joint venture in India, has reportedly ended plans to start online operations and has fired Dippankar Halder, who was in charge of the division.

    However, a spokeswoman for the company, according to The Economic Times, denied the reports and said that Bharti Walmart will continue to serve its members multiple ways, including through the e-commerce channel.

X
This ad will auto-close in 10 seconds