The Current in Boston Seaport (Photo Courtesy of Boston Seaport by WS Development)
Boston Seaport’s retail incubator and pop-up village will celebrate nine female-owned brands this spring and summer.
The upcoming edition of Boston Seaport’s The Current will feature nine small, female-owned businesses, the majority of which are local. The pop-up will be open May 12 through July 30, 2022, and is located at 100 Seaport Boulevard, adjacent to Seaport Common. (The Seaport is currently Boston's single largest development project. WS Development is transforming 33 acres of waterfront land with a mix of residential, hotel, office, retail, entertainment, civic and cultural uses, and public open space across the district.)
The Current, which debuted in 2018 (also with a lineup of female-owned brands), is designed to give brands a chance to experiment with a temporary brick-and-mortar storefront, usually for the first time ever or their first location in the city, and to interact face-to-face with existing customers while attracting new ones. Past brands featured at pop-up include Glossier and Studs.
“The Current is Boston’s go-to shopping destination for discovering the most exciting emerging brands,” saidCarina Donoso, senior director of retail experience and incubation, at WS Development. “We are so proud to feature a collection of all female-owned businesses, once again, and we think shoppers will particularly appreciate the sustainable lens through which many of these incredible businesses are operating.”
Here is a rundown of the brands.
• 1987: A limited-edition loungewear company dedicated to creating the coolest loungewear on the market with tailored waists and cropped fits;
• Brave Daughters: Bespoke fine jewelry collection and gifts from small brands, including jewelry “welded onto your body;”
• Coffee Bae: Features coffee made from beans roasted to order;
• Flyte.70: Makeup for people who feel “as youthful as when the number of candles on their birthday cake is cut in half,” with all products vegan;
• Ouimillie: Boutique and design studio with curated collections from over 20 established and emerging talent from as far as Denmark, France, Belgium, and Italy, and as close as Boston, Los Angeles and New York;
• The Little Cocoa Bean Company: Chic and sustainable baby care products;
• Scratch Nail Wraps: Vegan nail wraps that are screen-printed on a thin adhesive with 5-free polish inks;
• Wesleaf Design and Décor: Custom plant design installations and plant care services; and
• Little Words Project: Inspirational word bracelets are meant to be worn to lift up, and eventually passed on to someone else who needs it more. Each bracelet has a small, circular charm tag with a unique registration code inscribed on the back so that the bracelet can be tracked, allowing the buyer to see their kindness in action.