DoorDash is utilizing AI to answer some orders placed via phone.
DoorDash is using artificial intelligence (AI) to ensure all voice orders are answered quickly and properly.
The on-demand delivery platform is rolling out voice ordering capabilities incorporating AI, building on its existing voice order model leveraging human agents, to further support restaurant operations.
DoorDash intends the automated system to enable restaurants on its network to answer all calls and pursue incremental revenue opportunities, while providing optimal end-to-end customer experience.
The company says it listened to feedback from restaurant partners and customers to incorporate AI into its voice ordering solution. By combining AI with live agents, DoorDash hopes to ensure customer calls will be answered with little to no wait. In addition, customers will be provided with curated recommendations to complement their meal, with the goal of increasing overall ticket sizes via targeted upselling.
During peak times at participating restaurants, AI will answer calls, allowing employees to focus on providing service to in-store customers. The AI-based system will provide a personalized voice ordering experience in multiple languages, eliminating missed calls or long wait times, and live agents will be available to jump on calls to support customers at any time.
Furthermore, returning customers will be able to reorder previous meal.
“Customers expect more from restaurateurs, and in return, restaurateurs expect even more technology-forward solutions from us – including support for phone channels to meet customers where they're ordering,” said Rajat Shroff, head of product and design at DoorDash. “Supporting operators by capturing customer demand through investments in our voice product is one way we’re delivering more and enabling our partners to grow their business.”
DoorDash upgrades app for customers
In other efforts to enhance the customer experience, DoorDash recently redesigned the mobile app used by its customers. New features in the updated DoorDash consumer app include:
- Universal search – A universal search bar at the top of the app allows customers to search for anything they need from anywhere on DoorDash.
- Browse tab–The new browse tab provides one place to browse offerings from more than 100,000 non-restaurant businesses on DoorDash.
- Grocery tab – The grocery tab enables customers to shop from their favorite grocery stores.
- Retail tab – The new retail tab is designed to function like a virtual shopping mall that’s accessible in one tap from the homepage.
- Multiple carts – Customers can now start multiple shopping carts across different retail categories in the app, check out whenever they are ready, and never lose progress on an order.