Dollar General is going on a hiring blitz.
The discounter is looking to hire up to 50,000 employees between now and Labor Day. Dollar General is looking fill positions in its more than 17,400 stores, 27 distribution centers, private fleet and store support center.
Earlier this year, the retailer announced a spring hiring blitz to hire more than 20,000 employees. The new effort builds on the success of that program, aiming to support Dollar General’s planned 1,050 new store openings in its current fiscal year. In addition to stores, openings are available in distribution, transportation and corporate operations.
[Read More: Dollar Track on open 1,050 stores]
“At Dollar General, we are uniquely positioned as the nation’s largest retailer by store count to serve customers through our expansive network and provide access to careers in the communities we call home,” said Kathy Reardon, Dollar General’s executive VP and chief people officer. “With more than 17,400 stores located within approximately five miles of 75% of the U.S. population, we’re excited by the favorable impact we can make on the current job market and individuals looking to join our growing team.”
Dollar General’s nationwide recruiting efforts include opportunities in several business operations including:
• Distribution Centers (DCs): DG currently operates traditional (dry) and Fresh DCs that offer opportunities in general warehouse, human resources, inventory control, maintenance, training and administration. Distribution employees are also currently eligible to participate in a referral bonus program.
• Store Operations: Opportunities to support retail stores include roles as regional directors, district managers, store managers, assistant managers, part-time/full-time lead sales associates and part-time sales associates.
• Private Fleet: The Company seeks drivers to join the Dollar General team, where top-of-the-line equipment is ready and waiting for Class A Commercial Drivers Licensed (CDL) drivers. Additionally, Dollar General is currently offering a $5,000 signing bonus to be paid within employees’ first six months of employment.
• Store Support Center: The Company’s corporate headquarters, located near Nashville, Tennessee, is looking to fill a wide range of roles.
Dollar General noted that it invests significant resources into programs focused on improving the well-being of its employees including day-one telemedicine eligibility no co-pay, health insurance coverage options, 401K savings and retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave and adoption assistance to eligible employees and the Employee Assistance Foundation.
Additional benefits include:
• Development Opportunities: DG’s market-leading reputation for supporting the development of its employees is illustrated by the numerous members of leadership and approximately 75 percent of recent job placements and current store managers who were promoted from within DG. Further underscoring DG’s continued commitment to this goal is the career path DG offers to entry-level part-time sales associates, who generally may be promoted to lead sales associates within six months and assistant store managers within a year.
• DG University Alliance: DG offers employees an opportunity to advance their education including high school equivalency, associate, bachelor and masters degrees. Through the DG University Alliance Grow, a university partnership and scholarship program allowing employees and their family members to access higher education, participating colleges and universities provide tuition benefits to full and part time employees. The Alliance offers a scholarship program which is available to full time employees who meet applicable criteria.
• ACE Program: DG store managers who complete the Company’s Store Manager Training program are eligible to receive credit hours toward the completion of an undergraduate degree after an evaluation by the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service. ACE CREDIT helps adults gain academic credit for courses and examinations taken outside of traditional degree programs.
Dollar General operated 17,426 stores in 46 states as of April 30, 2021.