H-E-B continues to expand its store footprint.
The grocery retailer, which operates some 400 stores in Texas and Mexico, has opened its first-ever location in Lubbock, Texas. The 122,000-sq.-ft. store is part of HEB’s continued expansion into West Texas.
Built with environmental sustainability in mind, the store incorporates several energy-efficient elements, such as CO2 refrigeration units and LED lighting.
The new supermarket includes several distinctive features, including a dedicated in-store shop (Sporting Zone) stocked with Texas Tech and local high school apparel and accessories, and a gas station complete with car wash.
The store is also home to True Texas BBQ, H-E-B’s in-house barbecue restaurant that was recently named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly. The restaurant offers indoor seating, drive-thru and catering options.
Customers can also place orders online, for curbside pickup or delivery. H-E-B also will work with Favor, an on-demand delivery service it acquired in 2018, as an additional convenient option for delivery, including one-hour delivery of beer and wine.
Additional store highlights include:
• An H-E-B Pharmacy with two-lane drive-thru service and a dietitian office offering nutritional services;
• A Meal Simple department with fresh, convenient chef-inspired meals prepared in store;
• A seafood department with fresh fish and seafood, in-house steamers for steamed seafood upon request, and grab-and-go options;
• A large beer and wine section with an extensive craft beer selection and wine-tasting kiosk
• A Cooking Connection section with live demonstrations and samplings for easy recipes to make at home;
• A Texas Backyard section featuring plants, pottery, grills and outdoor essentials;
• A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and tortilla machine;
• A health & wellness department with bulk food items, sports nutrition products and supplements;
• A Blooms floral department, offering online ordering and delivery service
As part of the project, H-E-B built an additional 13,000 sq. ft. of retail space on the property, which will be separate from the store. A few tenants include Twin Liquors, Great Clips, Castle Nail Salon and Hibachi Express.