Walmart is upgrading its stores in the Garden State.
The retail giant unveiled its newly transformed supercenter in Secaucus. The remodel is part of Walmart’s investing more than $75 million over two years to update and remodel eleven stores in New Jersey.
Walmart has transformed the Secaucus location into its “flagship store” format, which seeks to inspire customers and elevate their in-store experience. As part of the flagship format, digital touchpoints — QR codes and digital screens — are located throughout the space to communicate to customers the vast range of products and services Walmart offers online through the use of QR codes and digital screens.
For example, in the pets area, a customer may scan the QR code to find additional dog bed options, learn about Walmart’s pet insurance service options or have a 20-pound bag of kibble delivered to their door.
Other new features in the remodeled Secaucus store are below.
- Improvements at checkout: The front end has been transformed to speed up checkout time with self-checkout lanes (along with staffed registers). It also includes four for easier checkout for Walmart+ members.
- Reconfigured store layout: A new layout provides more convenient access to well-shopped areas such as baby food, pets, and paper products as well as an upgraded pharmacy, which has been relocated to the front of the store for easier customer access.
- Refreshed interior and exterior: The refresh includes paint and signage for easier navigation through the store.
- Lighting enhancements: The installation of fixtures and LED lighting throughout the store allow for better line of sight and easier navigation.
- Activated corners: Exciting displays are featured at the corners of home lines, baby and apparel to pull customers in and help them touch, feel, and become a part of the space
- Elevated departments: Displays showcase products that are out of their boxes so that customers can imagine them fitting into their daily lives.
- Entertainment of the future: A state-of-the-art electronics department has more demo stations for product.
- Vision Center: The new Vision Center experience designed to be convenient. Comfortable and affordable.
- New products and categories: The updated assortment includes an expanded pet department with a selection of fresh pet food; new apparel brands including Reebok, Polo, Chaps, Sam & Libby and more; and new cosmetics lines.
In addition, the store includes a new mural that highlights the Secaucus Greenway, the award-winning, 2.2-mile, raised boardwalk popular for birding, running, and walking. Secaucus is part of Walmart’s Community Mural Program, the largest public-facing art installation celebrating communities across America. The program is an important part of each store’s transformation and furthers Walmart’s commitment to the local community.
"This store is more than just a place to shop, it’s a community hub where people come together to connect and support each other,” said Walmart store manager Joshua Strudl, a 24-year associate who began his career as a cashier. “Our customers are going to love the new time-saving changes and beautiful displays to shop from and our associates can’t wait to serve them.”