Advertisement
08/17/2021

Survey: Almost all holiday shoppers will make some purchases online

Dan Berthiaume
Senior Editor, Technology
Dan Berthiaume profile picture
online holiday shopper

Close to nine in 10 consumers will perform at least some of their upcoming holiday shopping digitally.

According to a new survey of 1,000 U.S. consumers from enterprise customer data platform TreasureData, nearly half of respondents (47%) plan to do a combination of in-store and online shopping for the holidays, with almost four in 10 (39%) skipping brick-and-mortar altogether in favor of e-commerce options. This means 86% of respondents will make at least some of their holiday purchases online, with only 14% sticking exclusively to brick-and-mortar stores.

[Read more: Most consumers will make a majority of holiday purchases online]

In addition, two-thirds of consumers (66%) are buying online now more than they did prior to the pandemic. Overall, the survey reveals trends that emerged from the pandemic, including a hybrid approach to shopping both online and in-store, remain prevalent with shoppers today.

For example, more than 80% of respondents have utilized "buy online, pick-up in store" (BOPIS) offerings. While this remains the shopping method of choice for 32% of respondents, 68% still prefer home delivery for purchases made online. While 60% of respondents prefer buying their groceries in-person, 58% are using online delivery services like Instacart, Amazon Fresh and DoorDash.

Omnichannel brand interactions continue to be popular, with marketing communications via email (73%) and text (45%) favored the most, followed by social media (33%) and push notifications (24%). Notably, most respondents (82%) use their primary personal email address when creating accounts with retailers.

Other interesting findings include:

  • Two-thirds (67%) of respondents recently purchased a product directly from a brand that they otherwise would have purchased at a big-box retailer.
  • Almost eight in 10 (78%) respondents value their privacy over customized marketing (22%).
  • Online shopping is driving more and more auto purchases, with 30% of respondents purchasing a vehicle online, and three-quarters of respondents relying on online research before visiting the dealership.