Advertisement
06/04/2021

Study: COVID-19 recovery impacts shopping behavior

Dan Berthiaume
Senior Editor, Technology
Dan Berthiaume profile picture

As consumers receive vaccinations and enter the “new normal,” everything from how often they visit the store to what products they buy is changing.

According to a new study from shopper intelligence platform Catalina, for the four weeks ending May 22, 2021, shopping trips were up 9% compared to the same period in 2020 (during the height of the pandemic). However, dollar sales per store were down 3% and overall basket sizes were 12% lower.

But when compared to the same four-week period during the pre-pandemic era of 2019, Catalina found that shopping trips in May 2021 were down 9%, while dollar sales per store were up 7% and overall basket sizes rose 18%. This suggests that consumers are shifting spending back to brick-and-mortar as COVID-19 eases, but are still making fewer store visits than they were before the pandemic affected store operations. 

Further examination of shopping data pulled from Catalina’s Buyer Intelligence Database, which captures same-store dollar sales for the four weeks ending May 22, 2021, compared to the same period in 2020, shows recent major buying shifts across categories as a result of increasing face-to-face interactions. 

For example, sales of Dixie cups and Chinet plastic cutlery are up 36% and 39% respectively, while Osteo Bi-Flex sales have risen 4% and Smartwater sales have jumped 64% year-over-year.

Consumers are also showing a renewed interest in their personal appearance: Maybelline lipstick sales have surged by 66%, Native deodorant by 88%, and Downy clothing wrinkle reducers by 48%.  The same holds true for dating, as Tic Tac breath freshener sales are up 51%, while Durex condom sales have increased 32%.

On the food front, sales of refrigerated meal starters like Giovanni Rana are up 105%. However, while restaurant sales have grown for eight consecutive weeks through the week ending May 9, 2021, same-store sales have started to soften in several food categories. This includes double-digit dips for fresh meat (down 18%), fresh poultry (down 21%); dried pasta (down 20%), bulk dried rice (down 23%), canned beans (down 21%) and cooking oil (down 23%).

“There’s no doubt the pandemic continues to have a dramatic impact on shopping behavior,” said Catalina chief marketing officer Marta Cyhan.