Study: Amazon wins big over Black Friday weekend
Amazon has found another omnichannel retail battleground to dominate.
According to new omnichannel share data for fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) Black Friday weekend across brick and mortar and online outlets from consumer insights platform Numerator, Amazon was the clear winner. The e-tail giant captured almost one in every dollars (19%) spent during the holiday weekend. Walmart (14%) was the only other retailer to approach Amazon’s omnichannel share, followed by Target (5%) and Costco (3%).
Amazon, whose share of omnichannel Black Friday weekend sales was entirely based on its e-commerce revenue, was even more dominant when compared to other retailers’ online performance. Walmart.com had a 4% share of omnichannel sales, followed by BestBuy.com (3%) and Target.com (2%).
Walmart’s brick-and-mortar share of omnichannel Black Friday weekend sales came in first at 9.5%, followed by Target (3%), Costco (2.6%), and Home Depot (2.4%).
Other interesting statistics uncovered by Numerator analysis include:
• Online accounted for almost 40% of Black Friday weekend sales nationally, with millennials spending nearly half their dollars online, especially on retailer e-commerce sites.
• Nearly 30% of total Walmart sales were online, highest among millennial and Gen X households.
• Non-Amazon e-commerce share growth outstripped that of Amazon among millennial and Gen Z households.
• Low-income households earning less than $40,000 annually allocated more spend than other groups to physical stores, with 70% staying in brick-and-mortar.
• Walmart won low-income households earning less than $40,000 annually, across both physical and online. However, Walmart is also declining the most in share among these shoppers.
• Amazon captured twice the share of total Walmart (the next-largest retailer) among high-income households earning more than $80,000 annually. These households also drove overall online growth.
Numerator share is based on share of consumer spend as reported in its million-person share measurement tracking system.