Best Buy in big solar move

Press enter to search
Close search
Open Menu

Best Buy in big solar move

By Marianne Wilson - 06/23/2020

Best Buy is making its biggest commitment yet to renewable energy.

The consumer electronics retailer unveiled a  solar field, in Martin, S.C., that will produce 174,000 megawatt hours of clean electricity per year for the local power grid — enough to power the equivalent of 260 Best Buy stores for an entire year. The project is in collaboration with X-Elio and U.S. Bank.

“We are proud of this investment in our community, which brings so many environmental and social benefits,” said Tim Dunn, head of environmental sustainability at Best Buy. “We have made great strides in reducing our carbon emissions, and this project is a big step toward achieving our future goals.”

Best Buy has cut its carbon footprint in half since 2009.  The solar field will contribute 6% toward the company’s 75% carbon reduction goal, which has been aligned with Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi). For its collective efforts, the retailer earned a spot on CDP’s Climate A List, which includes the top 2% of companies worldwide impacting climate change. 

The solar field was announced in Best Buy’s latest environmental, social and governance (ESG) report, “Doing a World of Good,” which was released last week. The report details the chain’s goals and progress made during fiscal 2020.

Other highlights from the report include:
•    Collecting 204 million pounds of electronics and appliances for recycling;
•    Increasing the number of female employees companywide by 2%;
•    Expanding  Career Pathways program to 17 Teen Tech Centers; and
•    Reporting private-label suppliers are 98% conflict-free (remaining 2% have committed to an audit)