Amazon is releasing some data on sales trends, and it looks like consumers are shopping for a post-pandemic summer of personal interactions.
According to internal analysis from the e-tail giant, summer entertaining, weddings and events are top-of-mind for its shoppers. Amazon Wedding Registry gift-giving has more than doubled this year compared to 2020.
In addition, event and party supply sales more than doubled year-over-year in April 2021, with tablewares and party decorations among the top-selling product categories. Meanwhile, outdoor furniture sales nearly doubled year-over-year in the first quarter of 2021, with trending topics including lounge & deep seating chairs and outside dining/bar tables. Grilling product sales were up 70% during the quarter.
Amazon data also reveals its customers are dressing for new occasions and preparing for mask-less interactions. Skirts, dresses, dress shirts, suits, and tuxedo sales more than tripled year-over-year in March and April 2021. And sales of toothpaste, whiteners, and mouthwash were up 66% in April 2021 compared to January 2020.
Curling irons were up 30% year-over-year in April 2021, while “subscribe & save” sales for skin care products increased by more than 38% year-over-year in April 2021.
As more of the country reopens, Amazon shoppers also appear to be preparing for travel. Luggage sales were up more than 460% year-over-year in March and April 2021, and swimwear sales more than doubled year-over-year in March and April 2021, while sunscreen sales increased by 70% year-over-year in April 2021.
Cases for consumer electronics products were up 86% year-over-year in April 2021, and it was the second-bestselling subcategory for consumer electronics. Car seats sales were up by 70% and strollers by 50% year-over-year in April 2021.
Outdoor adventures also continue to accelerate, with outdoor living & camping product sales increasing by more than 130% year-over-year in April 2021. Athletic sports apparel sales increased by more than 40% year-over-year in March and April 2021. Cargo management, exterior accessories, and recreational vehicle care sales more than doubled year-over-year in April 2021.
Amazon also recorded some sales trends earlier in 2021 that were indicative of consumers spending more time at home during the COVID-19 pandemic. These included:
- Arts & crafts more than doubled and puzzle sales were up 75% in the second quarter of 2020 compared to the previous year. Building blocks were up 70% year over year in the second quarter.
- Sales of laptops doubled year-over-year in April 2020. Home office desk sales more than doubled in the second quarter compared to 2019.
- Exercise and fitness product sales increased by nearly 75% year-over-year in the first quarter of 2021 with top process across weights, exercise bikes, and treadmill categories.
- Gardening product sales increased by 50% year-over-year in the first quarter of 2020.
- Cookware, cooking tools, bakeware, and kitchen storage product sales more than doubled year-over-year in the second quarter of 2020.