Amazon set a record of its own on Cyber Monday
Amazon kept up its tradition on Cyber Monday.
The online giant said that Cyber Monday was the single biggest shopping day in its history, based on the number of items ordered worldwide. Cyber Monday has been Amazon's top sales day for several years, outpacing the previous Prime Day and Black Friday. Amazon’s best-selling products on Cyber Monday in the U.S. included Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, Play-Doh Sweet Shoppe Cookie Creations, Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker and Lego City Ambulance Helicopter 60179 Building Kit.
In keeping with its policy of rarely (if ever) revealing exact numbers, Amazon said that “hundreds of millions of products” were ordered worldwide between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday. Shoppers purchased “millions more” Amazon devices over the holiday period compared to the same period last year, the said, with Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote ranking as the top-selling items.
In other holiday weekend highlights from Amazon:
- Top-selling categories worldwide include toys, home, fashion and health and personal care.
- Customers worldwide purchased more toys this Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined than ever before. Best-sellers included Lego Star Wars Darth Vader's Castle, Monopoly Game: Disney Frozen 2 Edition and Hasbro games such as Jenga, Guess Who and Candy Land Kingdom of Sweet Adventures.
- Cyber Monday was the single biggest shopping day for Amazon Fashion worldwide, with more items purchased than any other single day in the company’s history. Best-sellers included Carhartt men’s acrylic watch hat and Champion men’s powerblend fleece pullover hoodie.
- Best-sellers on Black Friday in the U.S. included Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, Instant Pot Duo80 – 8 Quart, 23andMe Health + Ancestry Service: Personal Genetic DNA Test, L.O.L. Surprise! Winter Disco Bigger Surprise and iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum.
- Independent third-party sellers in Amazon’s stores — mostly small and medium-sized businesses — sold more items during Cyber Monday than any other 24-hour period in the company’s history.