Dunkin’ Donuts unveils next-gen concept store — without the “Donuts”
Dunkin’ Donuts has debuted its next-generation store concept and among the changes are a shorter name.
The company’s new concept store is in Quincy, Mass., the same city where the original Dunkin’ Donuts opened 68 years ago. The new 2,200-sq.-ft. location is one of a select number of Dunkin' Donuts restaurants testing new signage that refers to the brand simply as "Dunkin.'"
The Quincy site is the first of 30 or more new and remodeled Dunkin' restaurants that will test variations of the new design this year. A final version of the new store design is expected to be unveiled after testing is complete.
In addition to the shortened name, the Quincy Dunkin’ is piloting new design elements and technologies designed for mobile-savvy customers, including a drive-thru lane exclusively for mobile ordering. The lane allows members of Dunkin’s rewards program (DD Perks) who have ordered ahead through its mobile app the ability to bypass the ordering lane and merge straight into the line for the pickup window. According to Dunkin', it is the first national restaurant brand to offer this type of drive-thru innovation and convenience.
The updated interior features lighter colored materials, an open layout and more natural light to create an inviting and energetic environment.
Other highlights of the new format include:
• With fully-integrated digital kiosks coming in 2018, customers can order with or without the help of an associate. There is also an area dedicated to mobile pickups, so that DD Perks members who order ahead via its app can get in and out of the restaurant faster than before. Customers can track the status of their orders placed for pickup inside the restaurant via a new digital order status board.
• Dunkin' Donuts' signature cold beverages are served through a tap system serving eight consistently cold beverages such as coffees, iced teas, cold brew coffee and nitro-infused cold brew coffee. A single-cup machine enables the option of grinding and brewing select coffee varieties one cup at a time.
• New uniforms and headwear, designed in partnership with lifestyle brand Life is Good, are featured. Messaging on the new crew T-shirts include "Fueled by Positive Energy" and "Drink Coffee. Be Awesome."
• An expanded, custom Grab & Go unit features bottled beverages, as well as snacks from leading brands that complement Dunkin's menu.
• The new Dunkin' is the 186th “DD Green Achievement” restaurant in the country, meaning it is designed to save 25% more energy compared to a standard Dunkin' Donuts restaurant.
“The launch of our next-generation concept store marks one of the most important moments in Dunkin' Donuts' growth as an on-the-go, beverage-led brand," said Dave Hoffmann, president of Dunkin' Donuts U.S. and Canada. "We have worked closely with our franchisee community to create a positive, energetic atmosphere for our guests that remains true to our heritage, while emphasizing and enhancing the unparalleled convenience, digital innovation and restaurant excellence that distinguishes Dunkin'.