Skip to main content

Stop & Shop raises $2 million for hunger relief


Stop & Shop has donated more than $2 million to hunger relief organizations across the Northeast thanks to participating customers.

According to the Greater Boston Food Bank, for every dollar donated they can provide three meals to those in need, so the combined efforts from Stop & Shop New England and Stop & Shop New York Metro divisions will help provide more than 6 million meals.

“As we head into our 100th year and as we celebrate the successes that we have achieved over the years, we also reflect on how we can continue to grow and help support communities for the future,” said Joe Kelley, president of Stop & Shop New England division. “We are so grateful for our customers and for their continued support in making our hunger relief programs so successful.”

“Stop & Shop is committed to being a good neighbor,” said Don Sussman, president of Stop & Shop New York metro division, “helping our communities, whether it be through monetary or food donations, is always a top priority for us as a company.”

Stop & Shop raised more than $1.5 million through its Food for Friends program this past holiday season. Customers could contribute through in-store donations of $1, $3 or $5 at checkout registers. Of the $1.5 million raised, 60% was donated to the local hunger relief agency or food pantry each store adopted and the remaining 40% was donated directly to regional food banks.

As part of the Food for Friends program, Stop & Shop and its customers also helped donate more than $550,000 worth of holiday trimmings to hunger relief organizations. The trimmings boxes, which cost customers $10 each, contained non-perishable Stop & Shop Own Brand items such as cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, cut green beans and more.

In addition, Stop & Shop’s annual Turkey Express program donated more than 21,000 turkeys and 300 hams to 14 hunger relief organizations across the Northeast.

As the official supermarket of the New York Giants, Stop & Shop New York metro division donated $150 for every first down the N.Y. Giants made during the regular 2013-14 season. With 280 first downs this season, the Giants helped Stop & Shop carry $42,000 to eight regional partners in the tri-state area.

As the official supermarket of the New England Patriots, Stop & Shop New England also announced that they will donate $500 for every sack the Patriots made during the 2013-14 season. In total, Stop & Shop will be donating $10,000 to their food bank partners.

This ad will auto-close in 10 seconds