- Wal-Mart launches money transfer service between stores
- Walmart to install LEDs in ceilings, cutting lighting energy use by 40%
- Wal-Mart doubles small-store expansion amid weak sales and lowered outlook
- Wal-Mart names new CEO; company vet Doug McMillon to succeed Mike Duke
- Walmart kicks off online holiday deals early
Bentonville, Ark. -- Walmart will offer customers free layaway with no opening fee for the holidays. The program will run Sept. 13 through Dec. 13, but the chain’s Facebook fans will have a two-day head start this year with access to layaway on Sept. 11 and Sept. 12.
Eligible layaway items include electronics, toys, jewelry, small appliances and select sporting goods. And new in 2013 are infant toys and automotive electronics such as speakers and stereos.
For added convenience in purchasing select large items, including ride-on vehicles, basketball goals and trampolines, Walmart is introducing new "tear pad" slips that customers can bring to the Walmart.com Services Desk – alleviating the need to carry select bulky items to the counter
Walmart will match the price of any local competitor's printed ad for an identical item at the Walmart.com Services Desk. This includes layaway items throughout the holiday season.