- Duane Reade launches holiday photo contest on Facebook
- Duane Reade finds ROI and engagement success on Twitter
- Private equity could ramp up ROI by emphasizing brands, customers
- Walgreens posts Q3 gains, misses analyst expectations
- Wal-Mart names new CEO; company vet Doug McMillon to succeed Mike Duke
Deerfield, Ill. -- Walgreens said Tuesday that sales for the month of March rose 7.6% to $6.28 billion, compared with $5.83 billion in the year-ago period.
Duane Reade stores, acquired in April 2010, contributed 2.8% to the total sales increase for the month.
Same-store sales rose 3% in March, not including Duane Reade stores. Results topped Wall Street expectations.
Walgreens opened 12 stores during March, including three relocations, acquired one store and closed two.