- Toys ‘R’ Us moves interim CEO into role permanently; names new U.S. president
- Walmart to install LEDs in ceilings, cutting lighting energy use by 40%
- Wal-Mart names new CEO; company vet Doug McMillon to succeed Mike Duke
- Wal-Mart doubles small-store expansion amid weak sales and lowered outlook
- Wal-Mart launches money transfer service between stores
Bentonville, Ark. – Wal-Mart’s South African subsidiary Massmart Holdings Ltd. is reportedly considering expanding into Kenya. According to an article in Bloomberg, Kenyan news outlets are reporting that Massmart executives have met with representatives of major Kenyan retail chains including Naivas Supermarket Ltd.
Naivas did not return phone calls from Bloomberg, while two other leading Kenyan retailers, Nakumatt Holdings Ltd. and Tuskys, have publicly denied they are considering selling. Wal-Mart CEO Grant Pattison acknowledged Wal-Mart’s interest in Kenya in an email to Bloomberg but declined to comment on any specific reports.