New York -- Retailers’ growth plans are running about 5% ahead of year-ago projections, according to ChainLinks Retail Advisors’ Spring 2012 Retailer and Restaurant Expansion Guide.
“Demand is being driven by discounters, grocery store chains, off-price apparel retailers, fast-food and fast-casual dining concepts,” said Garrick Brown, national retail research director, ChainLinks, one of the leading retail real estate advisory services organization in North America. “Growth from those players will help to lower vacancy for most shopping center types.”
According to the report, some of the most active retailers currently include:
- Subway: Hoping to open as many as 2,500 stores worldwide this year.
- Dollar General: Planning 650 new stores in 2012.
- Family Dollar: Planning 500 new stores this year.
- 7 Eleven: Planning on at least 300 new stores over the next 12 months.
- Dollar Tree: Planning 300 units in 2012.
The comprehensive report details the current expansion plans for over 2,500 U.S. retail and restaurant chains can be downloaded here.