- Welcome to the New Customer Disruption Newsletter
- Kroger debuts Retail Site Intelligence, new enterprise IT architecture
- Westfield Garden State Plaza brings digital technology to physical world
- Animated mannequins steal show at Gaultier exhibit in New York
- 5 Reasons Retailers Can't Miss Customer Disruption 2014
New York Tesco insists its U.S. expansion plans are on track amid growing speculation that the initial performance of its new Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market concept has fallen short of expectations, according to a report on Financial Times’ web site, FT.com.
There have been widespread anecdotal reports that Fresh & Easy’s stores have been failing to attract customers at the rate needed. However, Tesco said in a statement yesterday that the stores were “proving very popular.” It added: “What we are seeing is growing sales and growing customer numbers.”
Tesco is continuing to push ahead with its ambitious U.S. expansion plans, with another 150 locations expected to open during the coming year in its initial markets, according to the report.
The company is signing leases on additional store sites in Northern California, where it is also planning to open a second large distribution center outside Stockton.