- Deadline Extended for Retail Store of the Year Design Competition
- Don't Toy Around: Discover Consumer Influence On Holiday Shopping
- Early Hanukkah, Late Thanksgiving to Impact Holiday Shopping
- Retail Store of the Year Design Competition early bird rate ends on Nov. 29
- Black Friday vs. Cyber Monday 2013 — Shopper Social Sentiment
New York City -- Red Wing Shoe Co. plans to open 125 stores in the next five years, according to the Star Tribune.
The stores, all independently owned, will open mostly in the Northeast, in cities such as Philadelphia, where the Minnesota retailer doesn't have a strong presence.
Red Wing has about 425 U.S. stores, and about 70% are independently owned and operated.
The push into new markets represents about a 20% jump in new store growth, the company said.
"We've recognized the stores are an integral part of our brand and our customer likes shopping there," spokesman Peter Engel said in the report. "These are guys who like to pull up in their truck and dirty work clothes -- and not trip over a stroller and shopping cart. They want to sit down, leave their dirty boots behind and walk out of the store with the right footwear for their job."