- Wal-Mart launches money transfer service between stores
- Wal-Mart names new CEO; company vet Doug McMillon to succeed Mike Duke
- Toys ‘R’ Us moves interim CEO into role permanently; names new U.S. president
- Verizon, Mall of America, Bloomington, Minn.
- Target online veteran to head up inRetail, new omni-channel retail agency
Lakeland, Fla. Publix posted sales of $5.8 billion for the third quarter of 2008, a 3.7% increase from last year’s $5.6 billion. Same-store sales increased 1.2%. Net earnings for the third quarter were $201.8 million, down 18.9% from last year.
“In these tough times, our costs are continuing to rise, while many customers are struggling to make ends meet. So our results and stock price were significantly affected by this difficult operating environment,” said Publix CEO Ed Crenshaw.