- Ron Johnson: ‘I was a terrible fit for J.C. Penney’
- Wal-Mart launches money transfer service between stores
- Judge rules J.C. Penney 'interfered' in Macy’s/Martha Stewart deal; damages pending
- 2014 Retail Store of the Year: And the winners are …
- Wal-Mart doubles small-store expansion amid weak sales and lowered outlook
Plano, Texas A Wednesday report by Women’s Wear Daily said that J.C. Penney has hired Goldman Sachs as an adviser as the retailer preps for a possible battle against hedge fund manager William A. Ackman.
After recent securities filings showed that Ackman’s firm, Pershing Square Capital Management, had taken a 16.5% stake in J.C. Penney, later reports added that Ackman is working with another major player in commercial real estate, Vornado Realty, which disclosed that it had taken a 9.9% in J.C. Penney.
J.C. Penney CEO Myron E. Ullman III is expected to meet with Ackman and Steven Roth, chairman of Vornado Realty Trust, within the next 10 days, Women’s Wear Daily said.