- Fast-fashion retailers slow down to engage with customers
- Haagen-Dazs Shoppe partners with Buxton to map out expansion strategy
- Sprouts Farmers Market to roll out AccessVia’s signage solution
- Congress extends implementation date of final rule governing gift cards
- Retailers: Get your e-mails past the judge and the jury
Nashville, Tenn. -- Genesco announced Thursday that it has acquired Schuh Group, a specialty retailer of casual and athletic footwear based in the United Kingdom.
The purchase price was $159 million.
Headquartered in Scotland, Schuh operates 59 stores in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland, 16 concessions in Republic apparel stores and one of the U.K.'s largest online shoe websites.
"Schuh provides us with an immediate and established retail presence in the United Kingdom, a highly experienced international management team, and improved insight into global fashion trends,” said Robert J. Dennis, chairman, president and CEO of Genesco.
Dennis added that the concept is similar to Journeys in customer demographics, product offering and operating philosophy, “so it is a business we know and understand.”
Genesco operates the Journeys, Lids, Johnston & Murphy and Underground Station banners.