- Wal-Mart names new CEO; company vet Doug McMillon to succeed Mike Duke
- Wal-Mart doubles small-store expansion amid weak sales and lowered outlook
- Toys ‘R’ Us moves interim CEO into role permanently; names new U.S. president
- Walmart to install LEDs in ceilings, cutting lighting energy use by 40%
- Wal-Mart launches money transfer service between stores
Bentonville, Ark., Wal-Mart Stores said August same-store sales at U.S. stores rose 3.3%, on the low end of its forecast range, as surging gasoline prices led shoppers to limit purchases to food and basic back-to-school merchandise. Same-store sales in July were up 4.4%. Sales of groceries outpaced those of general merchandise for the sixth month this year.